An L-1 visa is granted to an alien being transferred by his/her company in a foreign country to the United States. These workers come to the U.S. as intracompany transferees who are coming temporarily to perform services, for a parent, branch, subsidiary or affiliate of the same company that employed him/her abroad. L-1A nonimmigrant classification allows a U.S. employer to temporarily transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. L-1B classification is available for transferring an employee with specialized knowledge relating to the organization’s interests from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. This classification facilitates smooth transfer of senior level executives and managers or persons with specialized skills to companies that may have offices around the world and a presence in the U.S. This classification is also available for financially viable businesses in foreign countries that wish to establish a new office in the United States and require a senior level executive to oversee its operations.
- The L-1A visa is valid for three years with further two-year extensions given up to a maximum total of seven years.
- The L-1B visa is valid for three years with a further two-year extension given up to a maximum total of five years.
Multi-national corporations are eligible to file blanket L-1 petitions and are permitted to use blanket approval to transfer employees to one its US entities under L classification. Approved blanket L petition does not guarantee that an employee will be granted L classification. However, it does provide employers flexibility to transfer qualifying employees with short notice without having to file an individual petition with USCIS. As per this procedure the applicant company needs only one ‘Blanket L’ approval for all intra-company transfers which saves time, money and efforts for such transfers. The approval is granted for an initial three-year period, and this period can be extended thereafter into an approval of indefinite duration at the end of the first three years.
How can we help?
- Assistance with in-depth assessment of qualifying relationship; qualifying business; eligibility of the intended beneficiary in managerial, executive or specialized knowledge under this category.
- Assist qualifying corporations to apply for Blanket L petition.
- Consultation regarding opening the new offices in the United States and L-1 related staffing planning.
- Assistance in connection with L-1 visa applications at U.S. consulates.