The ‘P’ Visa is a non-immigrant visa available to eligible candidates who wish to travel to the US for a temporary period of time to take part in a specific program individually or as part of a team ‘at an internationally recognized level of performance’. ‘Internationally recognized’ means that the alien athletes or performers seeking P-1 Visas must demonstrate that they have attained ‘a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered, to the extent that such achievement is renowned, leading or well-known in more than one country’. P visas are divided into sub-categories: P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa.
- P-1 visa is temporary work visa specifically for an athlete or entertainer coming to the US to perform in either a competition or with as a member of a foreign-based entertainment group recognized internationally as outstanding in the discipline for a substantial period of time.
- A P-2 visa is for foreigners coming to the US to perform as an artist or entertainer under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the US and an organization in another country.
- P-3 visa is for foreigners coming temporarily to perform, teach, or coach in the arts or entertainment fields in a culturally unique program.
- P-4 visa is issued to spouses and minor dependent children of the P-1/P-2/P-3 visa holders, and is valid for the same duration as that of the principal visa holder.
Major common evidence/documentation required for various P visa categories is as follows:
- Copies of contracts between the petitioner and the foreign beneficiary, or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the foreign performer/athlete will be employed or performing
- A detailed itinerary of the tour or schedule of events during the visit, along with a explanation of nature of the activities/performances to be performed
- Evidence to establish recognized status of the application through media reports, awards, affidavits, or expert opinions regarding the achievements of the applicant(s)
How can we help?
- Conduct assessment of eligibility for the appropriate category; assistance with documenting P visa petitions that meets the specific criteria; assistance with obtaining written consultation from the appropriate labor organization.
- Provide assistance with timely filing of the petition with USCIS to avoid processing delays.
- We have a proven record of representing and successfully obtaining P-visas for large entertainment groups and renowned artists.