TN visa is available to citizens of Canada or Mexico under NAFTA. It was created under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) that conferred special status for qualifying professionals under economic and trade relationships for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
Certain Canadian and Mexican citizens may be eligible for non-immigrant visa as NAFTA professional if following conditions are satisfied:
- The applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- The prospective job offer /profession is listed on NAFTA job list;
- The position in the US requires a NAFTA professional;
- The applicant will work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for a U.S. employer (self-employment is not permitted); and
- The applicant has the necessary qualification that satisfies the specific education and/or experience requirements of the profession listed under NAFTA.
TN Visa is granted initially for 3 years, and it can be renewed indefinitely for additional three-year periods. For Canadian citizens, TN Visa is issued at a U.S. port of entry. The applicant must carry proof of Canadian citizenship; college degrees and employment records; a detailed support letter from the applicant’s prospective U.S. employer offering a job included on the NAFTA list; and required fee. Mexican citizens also follow similar process, however, they are required to obtain a TN visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad, and thus subject to a visa interview. TN visa holders can change employment by obtaining new TN status through the new employer. However, unlike H-1B change of employer petition, it must be approved before starting the new employment. Change of employment can be done from within the US by filing the appropriate petition with the USCIS or at a port of entry after a departure from the US.
How can we help?
- Provide comprehensive services to our clients from varying industries and business domains in attaining the TN visa approvals.
- Provide end-to-end assistance to our clients in preparing forms, petitions and support letters.
- Our team of multi-lingual legal experts provides specialized services to our Latin American clients to help them understand the legal intricacies of US immigration system and its requirements.