Jethmalani & Nallaseth PLLC

R Visa

Religious Workers

R-1 visa is available to Religious Workers who wish to work temporarily in a professional capacity in a religious capacity for a non-profit organization in the United States. R visa is usually granted for up to 30 months, and can be extended up to a maximum total of five years. R-1 visa can be filed by a qualifying religious organization. The qualifying religious organization must meet certain requirements such as:

  • The qualifying organization must show that it has been granted tax-exempt status in the United States;
  • The qualifying organization must demonstrate that it can and will provide for all of the R-1 beneficiary’s financial and physical needs;
  • The religious worker needs to have been affiliated with the United States’ non-profit denomination for at least two years

Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 of R-1 visa holders can get R-2 visa, that allows them to stay in the United States along with the principal R-1 beneficiary. However, they are not authorized to accept employment on R-2 visa.

How can we help?

  • Evaluate intricacies and requirements of the R-1 visa program.
  • Assist religious organizations of varied faiths in successfully preparing and obtaining approval for R-1 visa petitions.
  • Pilot our clients through this complex immigration process and assist resolve any issues.